Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Chapter 2: How To Be A Lady

Being a woman does not simply make one a lady. The term lady has certainly evolved over the years and it no longer illustrates a woman wearing white gloves and fancy hats. The rapid evolution of the modern woman over the last century has left women confused as well as fulfilled with their new status and situation. Her courtesies, the high esteem in which she holds herself and others, and her sincere words of praise and thoughtfulness will reflect her strong values and place her ahead in the minds and hearts oh those who know her. Being thought of as a "lady" may be one of the highest compliments a woman can receive in life.

*The above is a paraphrased caption from a book that my so very entertaining roommate had in her possession. Melanie's mother gave this book to her and expected her to brush up on her lady skills because apparently "ladies don't ride skateboards" and Melanie needed some assistance. We were reading it and found it very entertaining and I thought I would share with all of you some ways on how to be a lady :)

A Lady Attends the Theatre

A lady makes every effort to be on time for the performance. A well prepared lady has a cough drop in her purse, whether for her or the person with whom she attends the performance and, when allowed, a bottle of water.

A lady learns how she looks best when being photographed

A Lady Goes Through A Checkout Line

A Lady is prone to run into many friends and acquaintances on her trips to the grocery store. And while she gladly listens to stories about friends vacations and newborn babies in front of the fresh pasta (as long as she is not blocking the accessibility of others), once a lady arrives at the checkout line, she is all business.
A lady does not needlessly hold up the checkout line. At the register she has her method of payment ready with her coupons in hand. She never goes through the express line when she has too many items. If another shopper engages her in conversation, a lady does not hold up those waiting behind her or the cashier. Ad lady know that it is her job to make the checkout lines of life move along.

A lady knows that the gym is her opportunity to get in shape. She should be focused on her workout and dressed appropriately so she is not a distraction to others or even to herself as she jogs or does aerobic movements. A lady is careful to wear clothes that support her bust line and wears tights or shorts that are complimentary to her figure. She doesn't use the gym for getting dates or catching up on the latest gossip. A lady knows that if she is serious at the gym, it will pay off.

A Lady Gets Dressed

A lady builds her wardrobe on foundation of well-made clothes that will not be out of style after one season and will endure repeated cleaning and wear.

A Lady and Her Purse

In our style-conscious society of designer labels gracing every article that a woman wears or carries on her person, we must address the appropriate styles and situations in which it is necessary for a woman to carry a purse or briefcase.

A lady does not carry a bag that could be considered a "lethal weapon" on an airplane or other closely crowded environment as she walks past others. Make sure the purse fits the occasion.

For more tips on how to be a lady go to any bookstore and look for How To Be A Lady, A Contemporary Guide to Common Courtesy by Candace Simpson Giles. Trust me you won't be disappointed. It's very entertaining and a great coffee table book. And we all know that ladies have two coffee table books on their coffee table.

5 comments:

Darcy said...

I love it. And I love that you're dating Dustin. This is a very, very good thing.

S & K said...

Lover oh how I miss you!!!! How are you doing? I didn't even know you had a blog.. I hope all is well!! Loves!

Ky

Mutation's Cantation said...

Im totally not a lady.... yikes!

Meg said...

This made me laugh so hard! I don't think I know too many ladies haha!

D-Train said...

Kaitlyn, this might be the most Kaitlyn-esque blog I have ever read. I absolutely love it. I almost died laughing. I am glad that you are not just becoming another OC girl, but that you have maintained your East Coast persona.