Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Up the Hill and Into the Meadow

For those who don't know, I started a new job at an advertising agency in Irvine. Kawasaki is our only client but they keep us very busy while we orchestrate ads for their various ATV models, Ninja bikes, and cruisers (traditional motorcycles). I am really enjoying it thus far and I love exploring the new part of Orange County that I haven't really gotten too yet.

I work in the southern part of Irvine and it is beautiful! I take the 405 S to work and it's like a whole new place just after I pass Culver Dr. Right after Culver is where you start noticing the GREEN rolling green hills that are non-existent next to my house. I have certainly known how the greenery affects me because it happens every time I go back east to visit home. However, I didn't think that I really would miss hills. I was surrounded by them when I lived in Utah and I liked them but I suppose I got kind of numb to them because I saw them all the time.

There is a meadow across the street from my building and sometimes I venture up the hill (in high heels of course) and into the meadow on my lunch break to read or take naps and bask in the sunshine. Today was an especially hot day and I was just wanting to go swimming in Derrick's pool, but I would definitely prefer the sun beating on me and warming my whole body as opposed to the shivers that plague my fellow friends in the chilly state of Utah.

The luscious vegetation that I am finally surrounded by once again, has evoked a lot of self reflection moments as I drive to and from work. I thought about the small ways in which I have changed since being out here and what I wanted to become. I was also thinking about what I wanted my blog to become and how I wanted it to evolve. I like for things to have a purpose so that I can grow and so that others can be benefited in some way, whether it is motivation, inspiration, or entertainment...pause here, we will come back to the evolution of my blog.

I finally went into Trader Joe's yesterday for the very first time since I have been in California. I had to go in and see what all the fuss was about. People rant and rave about it and I enjoy health food and organic stuff but I figured that I wouldn't get sucked in because I don't like it when stuff is overpriced. I swallowed my pride, went in, and found happiness. Everything there is like $1.99. I have been told that it is cheaper (or comparable) to the grocery store but I didn't believe it. I admit it....I was wrong. Trader Joe's is great and comes highly recommended from me.

As I was perusing the aisles I sensed that I was feeling the desire to eat healthier and I could feel this hippie side coming out in me. It was weird but I welcomed it. I also get this desire to be better, faster, stronger, etc. when I read articles from my RunnersWorld Magazine. It gives me the motivation that is occasionally dimmed. After I left with my groceries in tote, I realized that I am most motivated to be better when I am around things or people that are better.

So, back to the evolution of the blog....

Part of me wants to become a sports nutritionist so to feed that desire I will post things on here that help me and hopefully they will help you too. I love seeing people out exercising! I always think...good for you! It also helps having my crazed cousin Kyle out here in CA with me because she and I talk about the glory days of sports teams and the energy of race day so hopefully you we can pass that enthusiasm and love for fitness on to you the reader and keep you motivated to celebrate your fitness.

I know that sounds kind of cheesy but before one of my triathlons, a fellow triathlete spoke and she told us that during the times when you want to give up and everything hurts, remember that not everyone has a body that works properly. Not everyone can use their legs and arms so when times are tough and I want to quit, I think about how I would never want an accident to occur and then regret not using my ability to stay fit and exercise while I had the chance.

Part of the blog will be dedicated to everything mentioned above and the rest will be filled with random stories and occurrences that happen throughout, well...LIFE.

Kait's Recommendation: Erykah Badu Album: Baduizm
This album is sooo awesome I listen to it all the time at work. It totally gets me in my rhythm.